Response and Reflection – Adora Svitak
- What are your main insights and ideas from the given reading?
The main insight I gained from this short digital story is that kids can offer much to the world because they still have an imagination and are flexible in their thinking. Kids like to be challenged and engaged and will rise to the occasion if challenged.
- How does this reading challenge/expand/contradict your definition of (digital) storytelling?
Traditionally TED Talks were more adult focused topics, or at the guest speakers are generally adults. This TED Talk was different in that the speaker is young student who is extremely gifted and able to communicate at a high level.
- Having engaged this reading, what are you now curious about?
I felt this video was engaging and offered a fresh perspective what it can be like to be young, in school, and not being taken seriously. Adora shares the frustrations that many young people have with teachers and parents.
- What questions are you asking, particularly about (digital) storytelling?
What strategies can be implemented in my class to engage students to their highest abilities while offering them a sense of accountability and self-worth in their education.
- What additional scholarship, popular media, teaching resources, or other media are related to your developing understanding of both (digital) storytelling and this reading?
I wonder how video making software could be integrated with remixed music to make the students experience even richer.